- the furnace: a vertically placed ceramic tube (35 mm inner diameter) surrounded by MoSi2 heater elements and thermal insulations
- temperature: up to 1700 degree C; temperature gradient less than 4 degree over the length of 4 cm in the hot spot of the furnace
- fO2 control: 1 bar gas mixture of H2-CO2 or H2-Ar can be used to fix fO2 in the furnace tube; the gas flows are regulated by mass flow controllers (3 cc/min accuracy)
- solid electrolyte (Y-stabilized ZrO2) fO2 sensor
- determination of mineral-melt equilibrium at ambient pressure under fixed fO2
- fabrication of alloys under extremely reduced conditions
person(s) whom users should contact: Shigeru YAMASHITA or Tomoo KATSURA.
Institute for Planetary Materials